Monday 21 December 2009

High school never ends.

The weekend was AMAZING.

The karaoke/birthday celebrations at Red Box, The Gardens was AWESOME. We had an insanely good time singing and laughing. I forgot how much I loved cheesy songs once upon a time. We even unleashed our inner rockstars. Fun, rocking good times. I already miss them. This needs to happen again.

The birthday party was not what I expected it to be but I had a wicked good time (although at one point I did come out and told my dad flat out that "I AM BORED" because I had no one to talk to). I laughed at my uncles for discussing about why we should all support England during the 2010 World Cup, the Barclays Premier League, and bald men. I seriously find it more interesting to listen to slightly tipsy uncles talk than listening to their kids. Old soul, maybe? One of my uncles told me to eat up on some delicacies because "Once you get to London, you won't get this awesome stuff there". I am truly going to miss them.

The high school reunion was a success! I had so much fun meeting my friends, some of whom I have not seen for almost 5 years. We all look the same pretty much. Some of us got a little more girly than when we were in high school, but past that, we're pretty much the same people.

Which brings me to point something out. It was pretty evident that even at this reunion, most of us sat with our own races. I sat with everyone because I'm neither here nor there. I mentioned this in a lecture once, where we had to share our worst cultural bias experience. We sit with our own kind. I'm mixed, so I mix with everyone because it's not stated in any holy book that I must befriend my own kind. It was so glaring that most of them sat with their own kind, eating what they brought and not what someone from the other race brought.

My friends always said I was different (the good kind of different) and that I never judged them. I treated everyone the same way I expect them to treat me. I call someone a 'friend' not because of their race, but because of a certain kind of understanding we have.

I apparently have look 'everything'. I can look Malay. I can look Chinese (The guy who sells salad near my uni thought I was Chinese. HAHAHA WTF I so fair now kah?). I can look Indian. Heck, I can even look Portuguese (I am NOT related to Cristiano 'pansy face' Ronaldo).

Rojak. They're delicious.


I guess I am like this because my parents are different too. They could've married someone from their own race but they didn't. They chose each other and taught us (my brother and I) what diversity meant.


Still, that mini-incident could not take away my happiness during the weekend. I had plenty to celebrate about with people who are mostly different from me, but they will ALWAYS be the same to me.


Pictures from said events are up in my December 2009 album in Facebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home